Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Volscani Vs. Orks Part 2: Oh! the Drama!!

Basically we set up more or less as expected in opposing quarters. The 4 objectives were set up more or less in a box shape about 18" square around the center of the board. I deployed my  parking lot with the executioner on the right and the hydras on the left, with the chimeras peeking around the building at the front and center of my deployment zone. (thanks Jeff!)

Jeff set up shop all the way to the front of his deployment zone with the battle wagon screened by two trukks. These had his nobbs and a boyz squad in them, along with the Mekk and KFF (Grr).His big mob of 20 shoota boyz were on foot to the rear holding an objective.

I the deployed my snipers in a tower over in my left field in close enough that they would harrass his flanks, but far enough out to not bait out  his nobs or some other trouble. I then promptly failed to zeize the initiative and we were off to the death races.
yuJeff moved up quickly with his trukks and battle wagon and brought his boys up behind to consolidate them into cover near that back objective. None of this should be a surprise, but with Zaggstruk waiting in the wings I wasn't hugely confident. On my half of the turn I moved to spread out enough to clear lines of fire for my troops and opened up. I managed to kill the trukk with the Nobs and warboss, and I think put down a nob. Stupid KFF.....

Jeff began his turn by bringing Zaggstruck and his vulcha boys down in front of his nobs, and out in the open right in front of my snipers. He assaulted the nearest chimera....and whiffed....which set a trend for him for the rest of the game. He ran with all of his now foot bound troops and rolled a 2 for each of them....every turn for the rest of the game.....

Since Zaggstruck was now stranded out in the open I used the psyker squad and snipers to eat them alive. I used the remaining 2 veteran squads on that flank to pin down his nobs who were by now floundering through the small woods trying to get to Zaggstrukk to help. On the other flank I lost the Executioner but my veteran squads were making holes in his other trukk and the boys that pile out.

Turn 3 saw his battlewagon finally start to ram into everything in sight, and I started to lose tanks. Now, my guard hold up well, but I know from experience that once their transports go down, they are expected to live exactly one more turn if there are any enemy models within 18" of them.I nthis case, 2 10 man squads of boys and the nobs....not good for me.

I had dropped his other trukk so my tanks started hammering on his troops to whittle him down. With 12 plasma rifles hitting him, I should have eaten him alive....stupid KFF....His Deffdred was making mince meat out of what ever it touched....making things worse on the right. I finally downed it with plasma fire but it took a chimera and my executioner out first. WORTH it here.

On turn 4 Jeff still hadn't been able to get his Nobs out of those woods. Up to this point I watched him roll a 2 over and over for both his movement and run distances. A 6" wide wood turned into his downfall here. By now I had killed 4 or 5 of them and made a nice dent in the threat there. The Deffdred was down, so the only armor he had left was the battlewagon. I couldnt kill it as my vets with melta guns were the first to die to the remnants of Zaggstrukks vulcha boys in turn 3....Down to plasma from the rear I guess. Problem with that was the remaining 20 boys on his home objective....can't get behind the wagon without exposing myself to their charge range....

On turn 5 Jeff was basically spreading out his boys to contest multiple objectives while shooting as he could and ramming with the battlewagon. I lost another chimera to that ram, but the squad inside survived enough to help clear the boys off my home objective...but I still cant help that battlewagon.


We rolled and the game ended after 5 turns in a draw. It looked like I had to kill the battlewagon in order to win but Jeff was losing boys like crazy, so it could have gone either way with one more turn. This was one of the best games I have played in a long time. It was a real nailbiter all the way to the end. You owe me a rematch Astivus!!

No comments:

Post a Comment